Monday, January 2, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

Happy New Year, all!  We had a relatively trying end to the year (our engine seized on a trip to Colorado and will now need to be replaced), but over all it was good.  Lots of time spent with both sides of the family, cousins playing, siblings chatting, movies, and good food.  Nick and I enjoyed our third anniversary together, and the time together looking back and looking forward has only confirmed to me, again, how blessed I am to have such a man as my husband.

2011 was a fairly good year for us.  Our son was born.  Our daughter is growing and developing and a constant delight.  We have had wonderful opportunity to live in this apartment, and while not perfect, do some nesting and make this place our home.  However, there are things that I would like to improve upon, things I would like to change, and New Years' is an excellent time to consider all these things, make some goals, and a plan for moving forward.

I've divided my resolutions into categories.  It's actually made for a number of resolutions, but I think all are attainable with some realistic expectations and a game plan.

Personal Resolutions
These are things I want to change about myself or how I do things.  I want to get up early and establish a morning routine that will allow me to accomplish some of my goals in other areas.  I want to blog more consistently.  I have developed a 12 month reading plan for 2012 which will encourage me to read books I've been thinking about for sometime as well as try new material; it is surprising devoid of fiction material, which is my standard reading material.  More on that to come.  Another goal is to prepare for and participate in National Novel Writing Month this year.  This may be the one goal I might have to let go due to some changes on the horizon.  I tried it this last year, however, and was disappointed that I didn't (or couldn't) take it more seriously; I want another chance.

Physical Resolutions
The first set of goals I have for my physical resolutions can be lumped under "eat healthier".  I know that is a vague, immeasurable goal, but it's more a category heading.  Under it I would list, eat more vegetables, consume less sugar, and drink more water.  I indeed have benchmarks: such as drink 2 glasses of water in the morning, in the afternoon, and in the evening.  Eat 2 kinds of vegetables at dinner, building into lunch, and eventually breakfast.  Cut sugary drinks (my favorite!) such as soda, chai, and hot chocolate, especially as comfort aides.  I also intend to resume a regular exercise routine.  The overall goal, here, is obviously to be healthier and more physically fit.

Spiritual Resolutions
I am a big believer in writing while you study the Word of God.  My goal is to be more consistent in journaling.  I have allocated a journal of the purpose and intend to use it as part of my morning routine, to journal and study each morning in God's Word for a time.  I also hope to memorize the Book of James.  I've made attempts in the past and have failed.  By breaking it into smaller pieces and employing a few new tricks, I hope to have the whole thing memorized by the end of the year.  It'd be fantastic if I completed the goal early and could take on another small book!  We shall see.

Financial Resolutions
Nick and I are starting Financial Peace University by Dave Ramsey.  Our current goal is to get a budget made and followed.  We have Step 1, an small emergency fund established, though it might be emptied by the engine, completed, and we are hoping to attack our debt.  We also hope to buy the house by the end of the year.

School/Education Resolutions
My 12-mo. reading plan could also go here, but I intend to start on my own education as I look toward homeschooling my children in the future.  I also hope to start Eliza's education with Tot School in the morning and potty training when I feel she is ready for it.  On top of all this, Nick and I will be taking part in The Urban Ministry Institute here in Topeka and it's my goal to complete all the work; this doesn't sound lofty, but when I have difficulty completing a Beth Moore Bible study, a college level course will take some dedication.

Household Resolutions
These are ongoing, always.  The goal is to keep the house cleaner, keep a better pulse on our pantry inventories, and to declutter.  I am following a decluttering schedule I found on Pinterest to help identify things we don't really need and clear the air a bit.  We've been pretty basic in our possessions as our apartment has small rooms, but clutter still abounds.


Does the list seem extensive and possibly out of reach?  Yes.  I know resolutions should be kept simple and maybe few.  But these are the goals that have really been on my heart the past few months.  I have chosen the few for each category that are most important to me; I admit, it's my hope that because they are in different areas of life, hopefully a reading plan won't get in the way of eating more vegetables.  Also, as I began work on many of these goals in the past few months, I hope the number of changes I'm attempting won't be as big a deal.  I already read a great deal; now I'll read with  more purpose.  I've been trying to eat better for months, but now I have goals and a plan for what that should like.  I have benchmarks set and intend to review quarterly how I'm doing.  Because they are important to me, I want to be sure to accomplish them.

What about you?  Do you make resolutions at the New Year?  What plans do you have for 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment