Friday, May 18, 2012

Friday Quick 5

1. It's been a busy week.  You, too?  For what feels like the first time since we found out we were expecting again, I'm wondering where the week went.  It's actually a nice feeling.  I'm looking forward to the weekend, hopefully spending sometime snuggled up with my husband.  We have a few end-of-season finales to watch before a very possible summer hiatus from TV.  It's something I'm considering.  I just need to find out if the hubs will be down with it.

2.  We've had a series of health "misfortunes" the past few weeks.  It started with my sinus headache and a brief scare (I use that term broadly) that Simon might be very ill (he was wheezing and having difficulty breathing).  Then he had pink eye.  Then Nick had pink eye.  Now it looks like I might have pink eye.  Unlike the others, I can't take the usual drops because of my pregnancy.  I'll call the doctor and deal.  Still, I've found I have a real distaste for pink eye.  The only upside to the series of episodes is that Nick stayed home from work so that he wouldn't spread the stuff to any of his fellow workers or clients he does the service for.  Two wonderfully relaxed days at home with my man.  I've been hankering for a staycation, a time for us to just be together as a family.  We won't be able to take an official one until the fall, at which time we may still be adjusting to a new baby.  Those two days, those actually sick days, were a blessing in that I feel they will "tide" me over until we can actually take a purposeful staycation.

3.  Anybody else just not ready for summer?  I used to think my college president, Dr. Eckman, was crazy for loving cold weather and disliking summer.  Now I think he's on to something.  I tried to make a list of things I like about summer to improve my attitude.  It goes like this: iced coffee, no school zones, not having to haul the kids' coats and mittens, etc., around.  The list of dislikes is still significantly longer.  I'm working on it.

4.  I'm on a campaign to find a way to get us to eat more vegetables.  Unfortunately, I don't like vegetables.  I've always thought they tasted like dirt.  (Makes sense, though, doesn't it, seeing as they come from the dirt?)  I've been trolling sites looking for good veggie recipes.  And trying to find the courage and interest to try new vegetables.  Like asparagus.  Beets.  Parsnips.  Swiss Chard?  I admit to being among those who only knows to boil the veggies and serve with butter.  It's not enough.  Not nearly enough.  I'd love to disguise everything in bacon fat, but I know that some of the nutritional upsides of vegetables are downplayed when they're lost in fat.  Keeper of the Home had an excellent post with other ideas today, found here, should you, like me, be looking for ideas.

5.  Third trimester arrives next week.  Physically, I look and feel like I'm there already.  We're making plans.  There's a practice-run sleepover with Mimi and Papa for the kids in August, mostly to help Simon with his separation anxieties.  We're on the search to help the bed situation.  I don't see the need for three cribs in the house.  We'll convert Eliza's back to a crib and then find her something else.  I'm making lists of meals to prepare ahead of time.  What I'm really missing is that nesting instinct/energy to help me whip this house into shape.  I think until I get more help (chores are character-builders, right?) housekeeping will be my daily nemesis.  It seems for now, I'm willing to let the mess win.  I keep thinking if I just go into nest-mode like I did with Simon, that won't last long.  Sigh.

Here's hoping your Fridays are bright but not overly hot.  It's time I go look my house in the eye and tell it who's boss around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment