Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Today

Today, for the first time in two weeks, I felt almost normal, health-wise. Not wanting to jeopardize the feeling, I scaled back household duties to the bare minimum, and maybe not even that.

Today, we went grocery shopping with my mom's help.  Simon played with a ring of purposeless keys, dropping them every two minutes and grinning with delight every time I gave them back.  Eliza hauled her Mimi back and forth, looking at pumpkins for Halloween and cruising the Christmas section.  I filled our cart with crackers, coffee, dried fruit, bread items, and cheese.  Chicken for roasting and stock.  Milk as we are a bottomless pit for dairy.  Potatoes for the crockpot so that we have mounds of mashed tubers for dinners.  Peel and chop once, eat for weeks, thanks to the freezer.  But that's... for another day.

Today, we ate lunch with my mom and the living room floor.  Simon fell asleep in the car and didn't revive on the couch like I hoped.  He happily ate cold chicken nuggets and fries when he got up, smiling just the same as if they were fresh.  Eliza watched Phineas and Ferb, the Lemonade Stand episode to go with her lemonade at lunch.  The end of the show was her cue that it was time for nap.  This afternoon, she'll ask for another, but instead she's going to get play time.

Today, we ate breakfast cookies as a family as Nick and I drank our coffee.  Eliza and Simon asked for cookie after cookie; I'm glad I only gave them pieces of cookie, as these are rather large.  I already foresee making several batches for the mornings.

I heard a bang on the floor and turned my head, thinking intruder.  Instead, I found Simon throwing himself on the ground to hear the noise.

Today, Simon said "dog" for the first time.  Last week, it was "hello."  A few days ago he started saying "all done" again.  My boy is starting to communicate.  His mama cried.  Just a little bit.

Tomorrow will be a busy day.  I have Bible study and I'm making the snack: Apple Fritter Pull-Apart Bread.  I'll have to be purposeful about my morning, frying hamburger, starting chili in the crockpot.  Making the bread in plenty of time to rise and bake before we have to leave.  Prepping for skillet cornbread and hoping for extras on the Apple Fritter bread for our dinner.  Maybe getting in some housework, if I can get all of that done, plus the kids read to go in time.  The thought of having the energy to do it all is heavenly.  The hope of feeling okay again tomorrow is tantalizing.

So for tonight, that means an easy dinner, relaxation, and hopefully an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment