Friday, January 4, 2013

Friday Quick 5


1. It snowed on New Year's Eve.  I can't tell you how happy I was about that.  It's a beautiful white out there even as I write this portion of the post.  On New Year's morning we woke to a pristine landscape.  No one yet had tromped through our yard, along our unshoveled sidewalk, and the street only had a few wheel tracks.  I stood at our big picture window with the kids and watched the sky turn pastel pink with the dawning of a new morning.  It felt so clean and hopeful.  For a minute, I could forget that there's this fiscal cliff hanging over the economy and binding up the political works.  I didn't care that the house was a disaster from a few days of hard-core play.  I didn't even mind that I'd been up several times in the night with an overly-hungry baby.  It was a sweet moment with my children as they pointed at opalescent sky, the sparkling snow, and the black outline of the neighborhood trees.  Welcome, 2013.


2. We received a gift membership to the Children's Discovery Center here in town for Christmas.  This week we activated it and spent a few happy hours running around and stimulating the kids' sensory perceptions.  It was a happy time.  I was cranky, stressed, and didn't want to be out.  The point of having snow on the ground is that I don't have to go out.  My daughter is certainly not her mother: when I told her we were "going bye-bye" (otherwise known as "out"), she danced around the room, singing to herself, "I'm so excited!"  When we had to return home for a few minutes to grab said membership that had been forgotten on the table, she broke down and cried in her carseat.  Yes, my daughter is a social butterfly, and I am not.  As I watched her flit around the various stations, laugh hysterically with other children, and as I observed my son intently studying tools, toys, and silk scarves flying through the air, I was glad that I'd been pulled out of my comfort zone.  Our comfort zone may be safe, but it's not always best.


3. I'm hoping to start doing some batch cooking, freezer cooking, once-a-month cooking, whatever you want to call it.  Really, I want to eat healthier.  We eat so little veggies.  One reason is that I don't know what to do with them.  Another is that it takes me four-times as long as it should to get the main course to the table, so getting any kind of acceptable sides ready often falls by the wayside.  My hope with the batch cooking is to eliminate the desire for fast-food and convenience foods because I'm too tired, too complacent, too overwhelmed to put a decent meal together.  Ideally, it would mean having the main dish already prepared and ready to pop in the oven or what-have-you, and I'd just need to toss together a salad or prepare a quick but tasty vegetable and voila, dinner is ready.  I hope to enlist my husband's help through childcare.  We'll see how this goes.  (Insert uncertain smile here.)

4. Today (yes, today!) we are going to see The Hobbit!  I expect to fail as Tolkien.  I expect it to be a good time as a movie.  I'll let you know how that goes.  However, I'd been pretty certain I'd be seeing the film in a certain blur.  My glasses have been missing since Wednesday afternoon.  Couldn't. find them. anywhere.  I had a feeling that when they finally showed, it'd be someplace obvious.  We'd searched every room, even the most unlikely of places.  I'm always the last I take care of, and I need new glasses.  Perhaps this would be the push to get me to go get some?  And then... I found them.  Just a few minutes ago.  Right by the foot of the couch where I sit, blending in with the floor and the furniture.  This next pic expresses my feelings pretty well:


5. My baby weighed in at 16lbs 10oz yesterday.  Big. Boy.  He's so cute.


No comments:

Post a Comment